Custom Search

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

problem of the day

I need to turn my pc into a wifi router/AP. I have a WRT54GC connected via LAN to a PC. Sounds easy? the problem is I need to do a http redirect or nocatsplash to a webpage hosted on this PC for people who are connected to my AP.

Firmware solutions out there:
1) Openwrt, ewrt, dd-wrt, Chillispot etc... doesn't work with my router

Change the router:
I can't find a router that has this function. google and i can only find 3rd party firmware solutions. There were just mentions of turning ur $60 router to a $600 one.

WiFi card method:
1) Internet Sharing Connection in XP requires 2 network cards. I only have one physical LAN point connected to the router.
2) I tried connecting from computer to computer using the router when DHCP is disabled and I could ping. however, I used a DNS Server to do http redirect but only the host PC had the redirect correct. the client PC connected to the router via wifi didn't work. Learnt this from a hack website.
3) buy a wifi card but the router will be useless and range would be very poor. I dunno if the PC would be able to support 50 clients connected to it too.

PC as a router
1)PUBLICip - Free WiFi Solutions for Free WiFi Access
The ZoneCD turns your PC into a router and nothing else!?! useless except for the rag&bone man with loads of old PCs.
2) DHCP Daemon running on the host PC. (haven't tried this out yet.) but after issuing ip addresses what next ? how to redirect their requests?

No comments: