Custom Search

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Solution to Contacts Appearing Offline on Windows Live Messenger 2011.

I experienced this problem when I had to urgently send small files to and from my partner. We were working on a website project where he did the design work and I did the PHP programming. Boy do I hate website programming. Simple layouts, arranging text, fonts, all the mundane stuff. I prefer C++ with all the socket programming, image processing, mathematical algorithms etc.
Anyway, I tried Step 1 and 2 below but it still didn't work. So step 3-5 is for the people who had the same unfortunate experience as me.
Good Luck!


  • 1
    Sign out and exit MSN 2011
  • 2
    Go to Control Panel >> Programs >> Programs and Features >> Choose Windows Live Essentials 2011 and click on Uninstall/Change, Finally in the popup window, choose Repair All Windows Live Programs.
  • 3
    Go to C:\Users\WINUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft . Delete the Windows Live Contacts folder (AppData is a hidden folder so be sure to change your folder settings)
  • 4
    Go to C:\Users\WINUSERNAME\ delete the Contacts folder
  • 5
    If after signing in the problem persists go to C:\Users\WINUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Messenger . Backup the entire folder yourmsnuser@hotmail.com and then proceed to delete it. If you have emoticons and display pictures you will then be able to restore them from the backup.
  • No comments: